Watch your work come to life in landmark projects around the world when you partner with Syska Hennessy Group! As a global leader in consulting, engineering, and commissioning services, we specialize in highly technical buildings and the systems that bring them to life.
We are seeking an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer (HVAC) to join our team in New York, NY. Your experience working in a consulting firm on retail, healthcare, commercial, corporate office, and mission-critical projects will ensure your success in this role. Working in our New York office, you will contribute to the design of major projects from various markets and from around the world. Our dynamic work environment provides the optimal setting to take your career to the next level. From our supportive culture, diverse workforce, and competitive compensation, to our flexible work schedules and fun social events, it’s everything you’ll need for an exciting, challenging, and rewarding career.
As a Mechanical Engineer you will be responsible for providing trade specific system design: layout (utilizing CAD/BIM); calculations (utilizing appropriate software); and other related design services including coordination with the designs of other trades (architectural and engineering / internal and external) under the guidance of more senior technical staff. Must take ownership of the completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of the work assigned to you. Individuals in this position must demonstrate the ability to progress from basic design work assignments to more complicated and involved projects working in conjunction with a technical team.
- Represent Syska Hennessy Group and work in close contact with and effectively interact with the internal design team as well as external clients and consultants (including owners, builders, developers, program managers, architects, vendors, etc.)
- Create designs under the direction of the senior engineer and/or senior designer, develop specifications, system narratives and system layouts for a variety of projects and project sizes
- As appropriate, manages CAD/BIM and other technical staff that is assigned for particular project or task as directed by the senior engineer or senior designer
- Participate in / Ensure / Oversee QA/QC process for your work and the work of others
- Assist senior engineer and/or senior designer in the on-going determination of project scheduling requirements, manpower requirements, and project budgets
- Perform construction administration and field investigation tasks for assigned projects including conducting field inspections and subsequent detailed inspection reports
- Write engineering proposals under the direction of a senior engineer or senior designer for projects
- Participate in various trade organizations and prepares presentations
- Assist with employee reviews as requested
- Assist the senior engineer / senior designer in processing RFI’s, Change Orders, Bulletins, and Addenda
Successful candidates will possess sufficient knowledge to prepare red marks for CAD personnel. Must also have the knowledge to read, review and evaluate floor plans, sections and elevations and visualize three-dimensional space in building construction. Someone who possesses expertise in trade specific design and calculation software and has the ability to make proper system selections with/without the supervision of senior engineer/senior designer. History of working with projects such as retail, healthcare, commercial, corporate office and mission critical. Additional requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an Accredited Institution
- Minimum of 7 years’ of relevant experience in the MEP field
- E.I.T. accepted in lieu of P.E.
- Exhibits thorough understanding of applying LEED principals to building design
- LEED AP, preferred
- REVIT and the latest version of AutoCAD MEP expertise required
- Demonstrates ability to understand the work of other trades
- Proficient in design and calculation software
As an employee with Syska Hennessy, you will be part of a global firm with an amazing history! We are committed to being the best, to advancing engineering design practice, and to supporting our clients with integrity. To make all of that happen, we rely on the talent, drive, enthusiasm, and the total job satisfaction of the great people who work here. As a member of our highly collaborative team, we provide you with a flexible benefits package that reflects our respect for your workplace contributions, professional goals, and personal priorities.
Personal Benefits Program at Syska Hennessy
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching
- Roth 401(k) Option
- Individual and Dependent Life Insurance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability
- Health Wellness Programs, including in-house Yoga, flu shots, and biometric screenings
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Training and professional development courses
- Professional development incentive bonuses
- Opportunities for community outreach through internal networks
- A Generous Personal Time Off Program (PTO)
- Transit/parking program
- Monthly business phone stipend
- Flexible summer work schedules
- Much More!
If you or someone you know is interested in applying for this position please submit your pdf resume, along with name, email address, phone number & LinkedIn profile url (if you have one) via email. Include post # in subject line.